The Nursing Services dept. is located on the ground floor of the administrative Block of Lagos University Teaching Hospital.
The Nursing Services Dept. was established at the inception of the institution in the year 1962 under the leadership of MISS. MORRISON I.L who was in attendance on admission of the first patient in LUTH. The Dept. of Nursing Services is a unique arm of Lagos University Teaching Hospital charged with the responsibility of providing nursing care to all our clients. The dept. ensures effective coordination of all activities towards the delivery of quality care to patients. The Department is also involved in the clinical training of healthcare providers and research.
The current head of department is Assistant Director of Nursing Services Mrs. J.O Sonaike J.O
Services provided by the department include:
• Delivery of quality nursing Care to all Clients/Patients.
• Adequate staff coverage of all wards/unit/clinics.
• Promotion of capacity building and specialization through training and re-training.
• Ensuring continuity of care and promoting individualized care through the use of Nursing Process.
• Playing a vital role as a team member through effective liaison with other departments and offering useful advice on management issues.
• Serving as a useful link between management, staff students, clients/patients and public in general.
• Participation in research work.
The hospital has five hundred and ninety four nurses (594) spread over various areas of sub-specialization including Midwifery, Intensive Care, Ophthalmology, Nephrology e.t.c