The department of Anaesthesia of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital was established in 1962. The department is made up of specialists anaesthetists, resident anaesthetists and anaesthetist technicians.
Services provided by the members of the department include :
• Anaesthetic Services for all Elective and Emergency Surgical procedures including but not limited to renal transplant and open heart surgery, ophthalmology, laparoscopic surgery, Neurosurgery e.t.c
• Anaesthetic Services for Dental Extraction in Dental theatre.
• Intensive Care and High Depedency Services for critically ill patients.
• Resucitation services for in-hospital Cardiac Arrest patients.
• Transport of critically-ill patients.
• Epidural services (Regional anaesthesia) for Labour Analgesia.
• Chronic pain services.
• Anaesthetic services for Electroconvulsive therapy.
• Anaesthetic Services for Radiological procedures.
• Anaesthetic Services for Paediatric oncological treatment.
• Residency training in Anaesthesia towards achieving the Fellowship of both West African College of Surgeons and National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.
• Postgraduate training in Anaesthesia towards achieving a Diploma in Anaesthesia of the University of Lagos, West African College of Surgeons and National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.
• Three year training of Anaesthetic Assistant/Technician.
• Clinical training of Medical and Dental students towards achievement of MBBS and BDS.
• Organisation of training on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitaion (CPR) for corporate bodies, organization/Institution.